Parishioners and visitors celebrated the centennial of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Cathedral on September 17-18 with a variety of displays, tours and event gatherings.
Officially opened on September 13, 1922, the cathedral has undergone many changes in its interior building structure during the 100 years that followed.
Changes to the building included many renovations and upgrades over the years, some of these major changes as a result of the Vatican II Council held in 1962-64.
The main altar was relocated so the presider could face the congregation, the communion rail was removed to allow individuals coming forward to stand to receive the Eucharist, the choir was relocated from the choir loft to the left front of the church space near the new organ and piano, and the traditional confessional booths were replaced with a small conference room.
There's more details in this week's paper!