Bike Week is coming up June 5 to 11. The Dauphin Derailleurs Cycle Club is partnering with Dauphin Recreation Services and Northgate Trails to host several events in the city and at the Northgate Trails throughout the week to promote cycling in our community.
In order to enjoy your bike ride CAA Manitoba has some great information about safe cycling available on its website at caamanitoba.com.
Below is a summary of some of the key points to keep in mind to safely share the road and have a trouble-free trail ride:
• It is the law that individuals under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet while cycling. (Everyone should wear a helmet – not just kids.)
• Wear bright colours and reflective clothing while cycling on roadways, and if you are cycling at night make sure you have a working headlight and a red taillight. It’s a great idea to have a flashing red taillight on at all times when you cycle on roadways.
• Cyclists share the road with motorists so be sure to use proper hand signals to indicate your direction.
• On trails, if you are coming up behind a pedestrian be sure to use verbal cues indicating which side you are passing them on and attach a bike bell or use a whistle to give a warning ring when approaching.
• On roadways, travel with traffic, near the edge of the curb and do not weave in and out of traffic.
• Obey traffic signals and lights.
• Ride single file when cycling with others.
Cycling is a great activity for the entire family.
The City of Dauphin is adding to its active transport system every year, so get out and ride.